Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book Review: Nightlight by THe Harvard Lampoon


Title: Nightlight: A Parody
Author: The Harvard Lampoon
Publication Date: November 2009
Genre: YA
Pages: 160
Series: no
Book Acquisition: bought new paperback

About three things I was absolutely certain. First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe. Second, there was a vampire part of him–which I assumed was wildly out of his control–that wanted me dead. And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, gynecologically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me.
And thus Belle Goose falls in love with the mysterious and sparkly Edwart Mullen in the Harvard Lampoon’s hilarious send-up of Twilight.
Pale and klutzy, Belle arrives in Switchblade, Oregon looking for adventure, or at least an undead classmate. She soon discovers Edwart, a super-hot computer nerd with zero interest in girls. After witnessing a number of strange events–Edwart leaves his tater tots untouched at lunch! Edwart saves her from a flying snowball!–Belle has a dramatic revelation: Edwart is a vampire. But how can she convince Edwart to bite her and transform her into his eternal bride, especially when he seems to find girls so repulsive?
Complete with romance, danger, insufficient parental guardianship, creepy stalker-like behavior, and a vampire prom, Nightlight is the uproarious tale of a vampire-obsessed girl, looking for love in all the wrong places.

Guys? This book was hil-lar-ri-ous! I pretty much laughed out loud every couple of pages. Warning though, if you truly love Twilight...this book might make you a little mad :)

The Harvard Lampoon took just about every bad joke made about Twilight and it's characters and put it in this book. Belle is absolutely ridiculous.  Tottally clueless to the world. Edwart was actually a pretty real character - which would be in right form considering the fact that the real Edward was pretty fantastical.

I have to share with you one of my all time favorite paragraphs - from page 5 - Belle is at the airport waiting for her dad to pick her up:

"When I saw him waiting for me outside the terminal, I walked towards him shyly, tripping over a toddler and soaring into a keychain display. Embarrassed, I straightened up and fell down the escalator, somersaulting over the roller luggage inconsiderately placed on the left side. I get my lack of coordination from my dad, who always used to push me down when I was learning how to walk."

HA!

And you know what? The ending was actually kinda sweet - a happily ever after type that made me smile :)

Definitely for those who have read Twilight. If you haven't read it, most (if not all) of the jokes and satire won't really hit home.

3.5/5 stars

Tidbit:
*The first volume of the Harvard Lampoon appeared in February, 1876. Written by seven undergraduates and modeled on Punch, the British humor magazine, the debut issue took the Harvard campus by storm. (taken from the book)

Linkage Love:
Vintage Books
The Harvard Lampoon

7 comments:

  1. Lol, I've seen this around, and I'm glad to hear it's amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really funny! I was laughing so hard just reading the synopsis. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely getting a copy of this. It sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah, I want to read this sooo badly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. is it for real? i will find this book very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I purchased a copy today and I was laughing at almost every line. The authors of The Harvard Lampoon's "nightlight" are great! I would recommend it to any one who has read the series, and even to those who haven't. I believe it would be funny to anyone. Good work!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)