Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Book Review: The Merchant Of Venice: The Graphic Novel by Gareth Hinds


Title: The Merchant of Venice A Graphic Novel
Adapted and Illustrated by: Gareth Hinds
Based on the play by: William Shakespeare
Publication Date: May 2008
My rating: 4 / 5 Stars

With elegant, contemporary artwork and a faithful but succinct adaptation, this graphic novel casts a classic drama in a provocative new light.
Here is the tale of young Bassanio, who, to win the love of fair Portia, entangles his dearest friend, Antonio, in a dangerous bargain with the moneylender Shylock. Only Bassanio’s heartfelt efforts — and a clever intervention by Portia — will save Antonio from paying Shylock "a pound of flesh." Moody and mesmerizing, this graphic novel adaptation of one of Shakespeare’s more controversial plays boasts a chic modern cast, high drama, and all the dark, familiar beauty of Venice. 

In the words of the author the "text is greatly alteered from the orginial", with large amounts cut inculding scenes and cahracters. Some modern prose as been added but most of the dialog is verse. Having never read the actual play, I can't say how this graphic novel has been altered but I did really enjoy it.

If nothing else, I got the gist of the play - including some wonderful prose.
I still don't know how I feel about reworked classics but I would recommed this one to anyone willing to give a reworking a try.

**In my Mimi Reviews I explore older, sometimes obscure books I have found in my travels and wish to share with my reader**

1 comment:



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)