Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, March 29, 2010

Book Review: Thirteen Days To Midnight by Patrick Carman

Title: Thirteen Days To Midnight
Author: Patrick Carman
Publication Date: April 12, 2010
Tags: mystery, good and evil, life and death
Age: 12+
Pages: approx 296
Series: no
Book Acquisition: received an ARC from the publisher

My Rating: 5 / 5 stars

(from publisher's website)
You are indestructible. 
Three whispered words transfer an astonishing power to Jacob Fielding that changes everything. At first, Jacob is hesitant to use the power, unsure of its implications. But there's something addictive about testing the limits of fear.
Then Ophelia James, the beautiful and daring new girl in town, suggests that they use the power to do good, to save others. But with every heroic act, the power grows into the specter of a curse. How to decide who lives and who dies?
In this nail-biting novel of mystery and dark intrigue, Jacob must walk the razor thin line between right and wrong, good and evil, and life and death. And time is running out. Because the Grim Reaper doesn't disappear. . . . He catches up.

My Review:
Oh man do I love Patrick Carman! His middle-grade Elyon and Atherton series are some of my all time favorite books. He is truly a wonderful story teller and Thirteen Days To Midnight is no exception. I could not put this book down!

I would love to know where Patrick gets his ideas from because Thirteen Days to Midnight is such a unique and intriguing story. As I was reading, I kept forgetting that the entire book only takes place within the span of 13 days. The characters were so well developed, the setting was perfectly portrayed and the action was spot on.

I feel in love with Jacob. He's an orphan whose guardian just died. He goes to a small private school and lives with a bunch of old priests. And, he's pretty amazing. He has no idea where his new ability first came from but he and his friends soon find out that in the wrong hands, it's more of a curse then a blessing. And understanding it's power is only the first step.

Another thing I really loved about this book was the ending. I really thought I had it figured out but I was way wrong - and I'm glad I was. The book wasn't predictable at all for me, which was perfect. The ending was intense!

This book is perfect for fans of Carman but I would also highly recommend it to any fans of young adult mystery and suspense and really, to anyone who enjoys extremely well written stories with truly likable characters.

Linkage Love:
LB Teens
Author's Website

Some Other Books by Patrick Carman (that I love!)
(links are to Goodreads)
*The Land of Elyon Series (The Dark Hills Divide, Beyond the Valley of the Thorns, The Tenth City, Stargazer, Into The Mist)
*The Atherton series (House of Power, Rivers of Fire and The Dark Planet)
*Skeleton Creek and Ghost in the Machine
*39 Clues Book 5: The Black Circle
*Trackers (release date May 10, 2010)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this book. I have very high hopes for it! Now I want to read it even more - especially after you say the ending suprised you. Love when books do that!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)