Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spoiler Free Review: Captivate by Carrie Jones

*Spoiler Free reviews are reviews of 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) books in a series with no fear of spoilers!*

Title: Captivate
Author: Carrie Jones
Publication Date: January 2010
Tags: Pixies
Age: 12+
Pages: approx 336
Series: 2nd in a series
Book Acquisition: received an ARC from the publisher
My Rating: 3 / 5 Stars

Goodreads synopsis

Anyone who read my review of Need knows that I wasn't too fond of it. I really wanted to like it but for me, it just fell short. Because of that, I didn't have high expectations of Captivate. I have to say though, I was a little suprised. While I still didn't feel a real connection to the characters, there was a lot more action, which I thought was sadly lacking in Need.

A lot more of the fantasy aspect of the story is told and with more background information I found myself more invested in the story. The story kept me reading, but, with the exception of a new Pixie on the scene, Astley, the characters still fell a little short.

Now, the ending - I didn't see it coming at all and I have to say, I really liked it. It leaves so much open for the next book.

And I don't think I mentioned this in my review of Need, but I really love the covers of these books! 

If you read Need and like me, you didn't really like it, I would recommend giving Captivate a try. If you haven't read Need, I would recommend it only because Captivate was so much better and I have high hopes for the next in the series.

Books in the Series:
Need (2009)
Captivate (2010)
Book 3?

Linkage Love:
Bloomsbury Teens
Series Website

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm not into fantasy books but I might give this one a try. Thanks!

    Emidy
    from Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Need and I can't wait to read Captivate, though I have a feeling the love triangle will ruin it a little for me (I'm not a big fan of love triangles). Too bad you didn't like Need that much, anyway, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Need but I need to get to Captivate now! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)