Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Book Review: 13 to Life by Shannon Delany

Age: 14+
Publication Date: June 2010
Pages: 320
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: bought new paperback

Summary:
Everything about Jessie Gillmansen’s life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing.  Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she’s about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent—he’s a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie’s small town.  It seems change is the one thing Jessie can’t avoid…(from Goodreads)


Quick thoughts:
I really liked the story but I'm torn because by the end of the book I had pretty much lost all respect for Jessie.

Likes:
The story - it moved along well and even though it wasn't that long, I felt that each character was given his or her due. I felt a connection to the characters, which doesn't always happen for me.

I really liked Pietr's family. I'm glad this is the first in a series because there is so much going on with them - secrets and mystery - love it!

Dislikes:
Sorry to say, but I didn't like Jessie at all. Her and Pietr have this weird, love at first site, we are meant to be together thing going on - which I never like. But, it's almost like we are suppose to feel sorry for Jessie that she can't be with him. The reason she can't be with him? She's making him date one of her best friends. Ok, so this friend has some issues of her own and some might say that it doesn't matter what happens to her BUT to Jessie, she's a friend. So, Jessie's lying to her friend (in a really bad way), she's not staying away from Pietr like she planned (because when they are alone, apparently it's impossible for them not to touch each other), and she's some sort of martyr for it? I don't think so. I found her actions pretty reprehensible.

Reminded me of:
13 to Life very much reminded me of Twilight and I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or not. I'm not a Twilight hater but still, even though the paranormal elements were different, the story line, for me, felt very much the same.

Final thoughts:
Not a great read for me but others will enjoy it. Very much felt like a 1st in a series, which I'm happy about because I'm really curious where the story line will go.

Not my favorite, but I would still recommend it.

Overall Rating:
3 / 5 Stars

Books in the Series:
13 to Life
Secrets and Shadows (February 2011)

Linkage Love:
St. Martin's
Author's Website
Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. i thought about the same thing about this book except i kind of liked jessies caracther just a personal opinion great review and im with you im excited to see where the author brings the story(btw if you go to my blog looking for my review it won't be there because i read before i started blogging)anyways again hreat review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review...Sounds like the author threw in the "dating the best friend" thing just to put some tension between the romantic characters, which doesn't work unless the tension is there for natural/believable reasons.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)