Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Book Review: Vampire Diaries Stefan's Diaries Vol 1 Origins by L.J. Smith

Contributing Authors: Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec
Publication Date: November 2010
Pages: 237
Series: (see below)
Acquisition: won finished copy from Goodreads

Summary:
Set during the Civil War, against a backdrop of grand estates, unimaginable riches, and deadly secrets, three teenagers in Mystic Falls, Virginia enter a torrid love triangle that will span eternity.
Brothers Stefan and Damon Salvatore are inseparable until they meet Katherine, a stunning, mysterious woman who turns their world upside down. Siblings turned rivals, the Salvatores compete for Katherine's affection, only to discover that her sumptuous silk dresses and glittering gems hide a terrible secret: Katherine is a vampire. And she is intent on turning them into vampires so they can live together-forever. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
I've always been a fan of L.J. Smith's Vampire Diary Series. I read it way way (way!) back when they were first published. Some would we can thank the Twilight craze for the resurgence of vampire related YA books in recent years. I for one am not complaining. While it may be true that I'm a little particular about my vampires (they should not sparkle) and about their relationships with humans (100 year old vamp dating a 16 year old? A little gross) I do enjoy good vampire stories in general.

Told from Stefan's point of view, Origins tells the story of the Salvatore brothers before they became vampires. We really get to see the family dynamics in play. In their father's eyes, Stefan is the good son, the obedient son. Damon is the wild boy, predictable only in his disobedience.

Enter Katherine - Vampire. What are the brothers to do?

I thought I knew the Origin story of the brothers but this book painted a very clear picture of how things actually played out.

Final verdict:
If you have read and enjoyed the original series, the new set of books will be an added bonus. If you haven't yet picked up The Vampire Diaries, Origins is a good place to start. A quick read but entertaining. An in depth look into the actions that shaped Stefan and Damon into the vampires they would become.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

The Vampire Diaries Series:
The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries
Vol 1: Origins
Vol 2: Bloodlust (January 2011)
Vol 3: The Craving (May 2011)

The Vampire Diaries
Books 1 and 2: The Awakening and The Struggle
Books 3 and 4: The Fury and Dark Reunion

The Vampire Diaries: The Return
Vol 1: Nightfall
Vol 2: Shadow Souls
Vol 3: Midnight (March 2011)

The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters
Vol 1: Phantom (2011)
Vol 2: Moonsong (2012)
Vol 3: Eternity (2013)

Linkage Love:
Harper Teen
Author's Website
Goodreads

Tidbits:
*The credit for authorship of this book is actually stated as "Based on the novels by L.J. Smith and the TV series developed by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec". Makes me wonder who actually wrote the words....

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you liked this book ~ I have it and have yet to read it. I love the VD series, even though I will admit I started to read them after the show came out. I also will admit I like the Twilight series but I think that no what the series is about, if it can get people to read (like we suee right now in the resurgance of YA reading) then I am all for it. Great Review!

    <3 Patricia @ Patricia's Particularity

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)