Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book Review: Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: February 1, 2011
Pages: 240
Series: no
Acquisition: received for review

Summary:
Fans of romance don't need to look any further than the fauxmance brewing between teen idols Charlie Tracker and Fielding Withers—known on their hit TV show as Jenna and Jonah, next-door neighbors flush with the excitement of first love. But it's their off-screen relationship that has helped cement their fame, as passionate fans follow their every PDA. They grace the covers of magazines week after week. Their fan club has chapters all over the country. The only problem is their off-screen romance is one big publicity stunt, and Charlie and Fielding can't stand to be in the same room. Still, it's a great gig, so even when the cameras stop rolling, the show must go on, and on, and on. . . . Until the pesky paparazzi blow their cover, and Charlie and Fielding must disappear to weather the media storm. It's not until they're far off the grid of the Hollywood circuit that they realize that there's more to each of them than shiny hair and a winning smile. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
Really not what  I expected. I'm not much of a fan of contemporary tales - I much prefer paranormal stories BUT! I did enjoy this one.

A light, quick read about 2 teenagers whose lives have been consumed by their careers. They are actors in a family friendly, comedy / drama TV show and have been in the spotlight for as long as they can remember. Their entire lives are dictated by the show, the producers and the contracts they have both signed.

When their fake, off screen romance falls apart, the two must figure out a way to go on - with, or without each other. Their journey was a bit predictable (although I didn't see the Shakespeare element coming) and they were both a little annoying at times, but I found myself routing for them. I wanted them to get back on their feet and to really live their own lives for a change.

Final verdict:
An enjoyable book for me.  The flashbacks very much made me think of current Disney and Nickalodeon shows, but in a cute way.

Nothing heavy here, so a good choice if you've been feeling bogged down by your reading choices lately. A fun book that I would recommend to others.

Overall Rating:
3.5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Walker Books for Young Readers
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)