Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review: Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe

***2011 Debut Author***
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: October 2011
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Pages: 458
Series: no
Acquisition: received a copy for review

Summary:
When high school junior Sara wins a coveted scholarship to study ballet, she must sacrifice everything for her new life as a professional dancer-in-training. Living in a strange city with a host family, she's deeply lonely-until she falls into the arms of Remington, a choreographer in his early twenties. At first, she loves being Rem's muse, but as she discovers a surprising passion for writing, she begins to question whether she's chosen the right path. Is Rem using her, or is it the other way around? And is dancing still her dream, or does she need something more? This debut novel in verse is as intense and romantic as it is eloquent. (from Goodreads)

I was: very, very happy I read it, even though contemporary tales usually aren't my thing.

My thoughts:
One of the first things that struck me about Audition is the fact that it is written in verse. One of the second things that struck me was the fact that, even if pages 3 - 458 were written in braille, I would have found a way to finish it. That's all it took - about 2 pages in and I knew I wouldn't be putting this book down any time soon.

I should probably stop saying that contemporary fiction really isn't my thing because time and time again, I have found myself really enjoying a non paranormal young adult book. Maybe my view of contemporary stories has been skewed by adult literature. Nay sayers be damned, I have yet to find a purely contemporary 'adult' book that I've liked more then the handful of YA contemps that I've read.

But I digress.

Audition is the story of a young girl trying to find her place in the world. She believes that studying ballet and moving away from everything she has ever known is the right thing to do. We, as readers find out that she is right but she is also very wrong. Audition is a journey with a lot of possible destinations. Not knowing now Sara's journey was going to end really brought life into the story for me.

Have to say, as much as I did enjoy the story. I wasn't too keen on some of the characters. Most notably Remington. I don't think I ever liked him. His relationship with Sara always felt a little wrong. Maybe it was the age difference, maybe it was because it was suppose to feel wrong. I'm not sure but, overall, he really didn’t' do anything for me.

Sara on the other hand was a character I felt fully attached to. Her world and her dreams are so removed from anything I have ever even thought about doing in my life but somehow I still felt a very strong connection to her. I cared about her as a person so that pretty much equals a really great read.

Final verdict:
A book I might not have picked up on my own. I will forever be grateful to Stasia for offering me a copy because now, not only do I have a fantastic new author on my radar, I have the satisfaction of carrying Sara's story around with me for quite some time.

Overall Rating:
4.5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Author's website
Goodreads
IndieBound

4 comments:

  1. Looks interesting! Books written in verse seems to be more and more popular, lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try this. FAB review. So glad you dug it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely recommend that you read more YA contemporary-my favorite genre. Also glad to see another positive review of this-I've been trying to catch up on my Netgalley books or I'd check it out from my library ASAP!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)