Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 23, 2012

Book Review: The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

***2011 Debut Author***
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: August 2011
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 282
Series: no?
Acquisition: NetGalley

Summary:
The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.
If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.
And there are no strangers in the town of Near.
These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.
But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.
The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.
As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.
Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget. (from Goodreads)

I was:...lost for words

My thoughts:
Love love love this book! <--- See those words? Those were the only words I managed to write directly after finishing The Near Witch. I was so overcome with how much I was enchanted by this story that I literally could not type any other words!

After composing myself, I really hope I can do this book justice because it really was one of my favorite reads of 2011. It fits into a couple of different categories, for me at least.

It's a fantasy - not quite sure where or when the people in this story exist but at the same time, it doesn't matter. What happens to them and what they do about it - that matters.

It's also, at least for the time being, a stand alone novel. If Victoria ever does write more about Lexi and her world I'm sure to read it - but - not for the sake of the story. I'll be reading it because I want more - crave it in fact!

It's also a love story. A truly sweet and heartwarming and love-as-it-should-be, love story. There really shouldn't be any other type in my opinion.

Final verdict:
The Near Witch is a book I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to just about everyone I know that likes to read. Even if you don't love fantasy - you'll probably love The Near Witch. Even if (you think ;) YA really isn't your thing - you'll love this story. It's the perfect package!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Author's website
Goodreads
IndieBound

7 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way about this book! It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is finally making its way up my to be read list and I am sooo excited to read it! I've only heard good things about it.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some good thing about this one. I like that it can be a stand alone too, because I'm starting to lose track of every series I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you liked this book. i picked it up a few weeks ago at the used book store and want to start it soon. thanks or the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've tempted me into reading this even when I promised myself I'd resist any new YA novels for a bit (I seem to either love them or loathe them). This one sounds too good to pass by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this book did not work for me at all-glad that you loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could say I loved this book - I certainly wanted to love it, but there was something essential lacking for me. It's a bit hard to put my finger down on because the story was beautifully crafted in so many ways - but the plot moved a bit slowly, and the characters seemed lackluster.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)