Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Book Review: Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

***2012 Debut Author***
"A great book to read when you're in a slump"
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: December 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 432
Series: no
Acquisition: I borrowed a copy from my library

Summary:
My wish
is to fall
cranium over Converse
in dizzy, daydream-worthy
love.
(If only it were that easy.)
When her parents split, Marcie is dragged from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She leaves behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father. By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "vacation" has become permanent. She starts at a new school where a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up.
But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you've lost it? (for Goodreads)

My thoughts:
First off - woo hoo for the New Hampshire Love! Ok, so I guess Marcie isn't thrilled to be there but I still thought it was awesome.

The path that lend me to this book is worth telling. I saw a review and immediately thought - I must read this book! That almost never happens. Sure, I'll add to and remove books from my wishlist based on opinions of reviewers I trust but I can't remember the last time I had such an immediate reaction. That same day I went to my library and took home a copy. By the next afternoon I had finished and I couldn't have been happier!

Final verdict:
If you've never read a book told in verse, you really should give it a try. Love and Leftovers is such a sweet story and the verse really helped to suck me in. It's a feel good book. A great book to read when you're in a slump. A book to read when you can't decide what you're in the mood for.

I felt such a connection to the characters, especially Marcie. I really wanted her to be happy! I'm very glad things turned out the way they did and I'm looking forward to what else Sarah has in store for us!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read a verse novel in such a long time--this sounds like a good book to jump back in. Thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read a book in verse...sounds like this may be the one to try!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)