Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Review: The Memory Of After aka Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans

*2013 Debut Author*
The Memory of After (The Memory Chronicles #1)
Lemore Appelhans
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication: January 2013 from Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 304
Format: online
Acquisition: PulseIt.com

Synopsis:
In this gripping exploration of a futuristic afterlife, a teen discovers that death is just the beginning.
Since her untimely death the day before her eighteenth birthday, Felicia Ward has been trapped in Level 2, a stark white afterlife located between our world and the next. Along with her fellow drones, Felicia passes the endless hours reliving memories of her time on Earth and mourning what she’s lost—family, friends, and Neil, the boy she loved.
Then a girl in a neighboring chamber is found dead, and nobody but Felicia recalls that she existed in the first place. When Julian—a dangerously charming guy Felicia knew in life—comes to offer Felicia a way out, Felicia learns the truth: If she joins the rebellion to overthrow the Morati, the angel guardians of Level 2, she can be with Neil again.
Suspended between Heaven and Earth, Felicia finds herself at the center of an age-old struggle between good and evil. As memories from her life come back to haunt her, and as the Morati hunt her down, Felicia will discover it’s not just her own redemption at stake… but the salvation of all mankind.
(from Goodreads)

My Thoughts
Although it was rather compelling, unfortunately I can't say that I enjoyed this book very much. I read it all in one day as I just couldn't seem to put it down. Wanting to know what exactly was happening to Felicia and what had happened to her pushed me forward. However, once I did find out I was very underwhelmed.

Felicia is dead but she 'lives' in this sort of hive where she does nothing but access memories, hers and other dead people like her. At first, nothing is really explained - the few 'rules' to her world we are given don't make a lot of sense and as time passes, things just get more muddled. Also, the memories we do see her access are perfect for moving the story forward and giving us insight BUT they don't always fit into Felicia's story. We see what we need to see in order to understand but there isn't always a good reason for Felicia to be reliving these memories so in the end, everything feels very contrived.

I really did love the premise and I loved Neil as a character. The other aspects of Felicia's romantic encounters were...lacking to say the least. I never actually warmed up to Felicia and overall, the plot felt weak and a little boring at times. The climax was downright disappointing as everything is summed up nice and neat, no satisfying details to speak of and then proof, all done!

I know that others have really enjoyed The Memory of After so I'm going to put this in my 'not for me but maybe for you' category. I would recommend it to those who like stories with different takes on death and the afterlife.

Will I continue the series?
At this point, I can't see myself reading book 2. With everything ending so perfectly I'm not at all excited to find out what more happens to Felicia and her friends. You however, may feel otherwise.

Rating
3 / 5 Stars

The Memory Chronicles
#1 The Memory of After
#2 Chasing Before (2014)

***Published in hardcover in January 2013 as Level 2 - title changed to The Memory of After for paperback release in September 2013***

3 comments:

  1. Well, that's definietly a bit of a let down...a book that kept you racing to the end only to be disapponted:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really felt like there wasn't enough info given at the beginning so yeah, I kept waiting for it only to have the ending arrive without having my questions answered. I'll be really curious to see what others thing of book 2 when it comes out.

      Delete
  2. This is a incredibly cool book that even guys might like because of all the action that takes place in Level 2. Level 2 has many interesting ideas and its own unique voice. I really enjoyed how I could visualize every single detail. My only problem with the book was I felt like it ended short and could have gone longer. Other than that it was one of the best books I have ever read.

    Mariz
    Visit us Wall NJ maid service information

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)