Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Book Reivew: Amity by Micol Ostow

Genre: YA Horror Thriller Paranormal
Publication: August 2014 by EgmontUSA
Acquisition: read a free eARC via NetGalley

Synopsis:
Here is a house of ruin and rage, of death and deliverance.
Here is where I live, not living.
Here is always mine.

When Connor's family moves to Amity, a secluded house on the peaceful banks of New England's Concord River, his nights are plagued with gore-filled dreams of demons. destruction, and revenge. Dreams he kind of likes. Dreams he could make real, with Amity's help.

Ten years later, Gwen's family moves to Amity for a fresh start. Instead, she's haunted by lurid visions, disturbing voices, and questions about her own sanity. But with her history, who would ever believe her? And what could be done if they did?

Because Amity isn't just a house. She is a living force, bent on manipulating her inhabitants to her twisted will. She will use Connor and Gwen to bring about a violent end as she's done before. As she'll do again. And again. And again.

Inspired by a true-crime story, Amity spans generations to weave an overlapping, interconnected tale of terror, insanity. danger, and death.
(from Goodreads)
4 / 5 Stars

Amity was good, predictable and creepy.

The good -- the writing, the characters, the setting -all very solid and all very well developed and laid out. I'm one of those, movie in my head, types of readers and the imagery in Amity was fabulous. Even now, after having finished it a while ago, I can still clearly see it all - the house, the river, the backyard, the second floor hallway, the basement - it's all still there.

So, predictable? Yeah. I mean, I knew there was a haunted house, and bad things happened, and were going to happen. I knew there were 2 sets of characters and they had some type of horrible connection. There isn't much surprise in Amity but at the same time, there doesn't need to be. A horror story without any twists isn't any less horrific.

Oh - and creepy, let's not forget creepy! I love love love a good haunted (or cursed or dammed or what have you) house (or location or person). It's sometimes a crap shoot though because haunted house + evil doesn't = automatic great thriller. Amity, however, packed a punch - actual cliche 'chills running down my spine' moments.

So yeah, If you like YA thrillers, you'll really enjoy Amity. And if you don't like thrillers Amity is a good one to try if you're looking to be pushed out of your comfort zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)