Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, March 21, 2016

Book Review: Until the Beginning by Amy Plum

Book #2 of the After the End duology
Genre: YA Paranormal
Publication: May 2015 by HarperTeen
Acquisition: won an ARC

Synopsis:
When Juneau's clan disappeared, she lost so much more than her friends and family. She soon discovered everything she thought she knew about her life was a lie. Her people's gifts were actually secret abilities that others wanted, desperately enough to kidnap an entire village.

Juneau and her new companion Miles's cross-country journey to find her clan has led them to a game preserve in New Mexico. Now Juneau's people are finally within reach, and she will stop at nothing to save them. But she has a target on her back too, because unbeknownst to her she is the key to unlocking everything. To rescue her people - and herself - Juneau must discover what she, and her abilities, are truly capable of.
(from Goodreads)
4 / 5 Stars


Book 1, After the End, ended in a way that pretty much ensured I would gobble up book 2 as fast as can be. Gotta say - I love a duology!

With Until The Beginning, I was thrown right back into Juneau's world - no unnecessary recapping. The situation is just as horrible and Juneau is just as tough.

I said it before and I'll say it again - I absolutely love Juneau! She is everything a young female MC should be. Nowhere near perfect but entirely honest with herself. Scared but determined -- even if she fails, she knows she'll be alright.

In book 1 we learned a little bit about the 'science' behind Juneau and her tribes special abilities. In book 2, more explanation is given - especially surrounding the motives of certain characters and while it all made sense...it was a little cloudy. There seemed to be a very complex system at at work but the power play involved with the control of this system felt scattered and a bit dodgy.

I'm really nit picking here because overall, Until The Beginning was a fabulous read for me. I can see myself recommending this series for years to come.

The story kept me turning the page, while the characters kept me engaged -- pretty perfect combo!

I <3 Juneau ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I didn't even realize this one was coming! I have the first book on my shelf - time to read it!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)